Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

how long does haloperidol stay in your system

Customer Question

i was wondering how long it takes haloperidol to get out of my system if i''ve been taking for 3 months
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Were you -taking tablets or the injection form?

If you were taking tablets, depending on the dosage the half-life is from 14 to 24 hours. That means half of the dose would be out of your system in at least 24 hours and according to my calculations should be completely out of your system in 3 days.

I hope this will help you.

Susan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
what about depakote er (500 mg)
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.

Hello again, the half life of Depakote ER is 9 to 16 hours, so it should be out of your system in 3 days. I hope you are speaking with your Doctor if you are discontinuing your meds!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
what is the best and least harmful drug for schizophrenia ? in your opinion if it works ?
i'd really love to here you answer and really appreciate the help ?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Luckily, since 1990 there have been better drugs available for schizophrenia which have less side effects. I am wondering why you were put on haldol, as it tends to have some of the worse side effects. Geodon and Abilify are relatively new, and there is another newer one out, that sorry I can not recall the name right at this moment. It is important to get on a good regimen while you are young, if you truly have schizophrenia, as this can keep some of the brain deterioration from happening. Usually when they are trying to get you on the drug that works best for you, you will have to be tried on a few different ones until they find the best one for you.

There are numerous drugs in trials being developed right now for schizophrenia, which is very good news.

I would also check out the website : Nami.com. They have great information and also can tell you where to find support groups.

Susan

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.

Please re read the last post, I accidentally pressed the finish button too soon.

Susan

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.
Hello, did you get my last answer, check it because I added information. Thanks, Susan
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
did you get my last question
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.
About the drugs I would recommend, yes I wrote you a note. Check back to the biggest note I wrote you. I had to go back and add some information because I hit the send button to quickly. Let me know what you think and if you have any other questions for me. I am happy to help you because I know how critical it is for you to get this under control. I have a sister that went through the same thing (many years ago--just be glad you live now instead of then!)