How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8954
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds
Health

I accidentally swallowed my temporary crown while I was ...

I accidentally swallowed my temporary... Show More
I accidentally swallowed my temporary crown while I was eating. About an hour and a half ago it popped off while I was eating bread sticks. I noticed it while I was swallowing. It was one crown that covered two teeth it was about 5/8 of an inch long and 3/8 of an inch wide and 3/8 tall. I assume it will pass however want to know if there is something I should eat or do to help me with this? Or should I try to vomit it back up?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Show Less
Ask Your Own Health Question
replied 8 years ago.

Hello,

There is nothing you need to do or eat. The crown will pass through the gut with no problems at all. Taking a high fibre diet like oats, and fruits and vegetables will help the stomach contents to pass more easily and faster through the gut, taking the crown with them

And please do not try to vomit - it is unlikely that the crown will come out .

I hope this helps.

 

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
How will I know if it passes the oesophagus/food tube? For clarity how long does it normally take for the food to reach the stomach so I'll know it is not lodged in the oesophagus area? Perhaps I've answered that question by stating that the crown popped off and was accidentally swallowed with bread while I was eating. After I knew I swallowed it I continued eating to try to move it along. I hate about two large slices of pizza after that.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago.

The food reaches the stomach almost immediately, within seconds after swallowing. And if you swallowed the crown while eating bread and ate pizza afterwards, there are hardly any chances of the crown lodging in the esophagus.

If the crown had lodged in the esophagus you would have had a constant cough. The esophagus muscles would have had some amount of spasms and you would have had difficulty in swallowing.

I hope this helps.