Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

I JUST STARTED HAVING RECTAL BLEEDING WITH CLOTS, ENOUGH TO ...

I JUST STARTED HAVING RECTAL BLEEDING WITH CLOTS, ENOUGH TO FILL AT LEAST 2 CUPS FULL OVER THE COURSE OF 3 MOVEMENTS AND 8 HRS, I''VE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE!! HOW CONCERNED SHOULD I BE, I DON''T HAVE A FAMILY DR., SHOULD I GO TO THE ER??
Customer

This could be due to many things including hemorrhoids, anal fissures, polyps, Crohn's Disease, peptic ulcer disease, and diverticulitis. Generally, the closer the bleeding site is to the anus, the blood will be a brighter red. Thus, bleeding from the anus, rectum, and the sigmoid colon tend to be bright red, whereas bleeding from the transverse colon and the right colon (transverse and right colon are several feet away from the anus) tend to be dark red or maroon colored. Stomach ulcers caused by ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin are common causes of upper GI bleeding. If there was that much blood, then it would be adviseable to make a trip to the ER asap to determine where exactly the bleeding is coming from.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHAT TYPE OF TESTS COULD THE ER RUN TO DETERMINE WHATS CAUSING THE BLEEDING?
Customer

Besides a physical exam and history, there would be a number of different tests that could be done to determine where the bleeding is coming from. This could include sigmoidoscopy, different scans, anoscopy, and colonoscopy. General blood tests would be also done, including testing to see if you are anemic. You can read more here
http://www.medicinenet.com/rectal_bleeding/page7.htm#toco
As you have lost an excessive amount of blood, it would be highly adviseable to make a trip to the ER rather than waiting.