AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient

i feel as if i have a bubble in my jaw and ear area. What ...

i feel as if i have a bubble in my jaw and ear area. What can cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 8 years ago.

Dear joanne,

Are you having pain? Fever? Swelling? Does yawning help?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is no pai, fever or swelling--just a feeling as if I have a bubble of air just behind my jaw under my ear.
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 8 years ago.

Dear Joanne,

My first thought is eustachian tube dysfunction.

The eustachian tube connects the nose, middle ear and throat. Its purpose is to drain any infection or mucus, to stabilize air pressure behind and in front of the eardrum, and to help air flow.

Sometimes, the tube is blocked, or does not open as it should. Then, you get that "bubble" feeling, some hearing loss (temporary), dizziness, ringing in the ear, feeling of fullness. As it improves, you can get popping noises or sensations in the ears. It may last a few weeks.

Causes can be getting over a cold, sinus infections, allergies, air plane travel.

Most of the time, no treatment is needed. Sometimes, sucking on hard candy or chewing some crackers will help open the tube. Decongestants and antihistamines may help, such as Sudafed, etc.

If you find the symptoms are increasing or worsening, you need to seek help from your physician.

I hope this was of help to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best wishes,