AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient

How to treat chest congestion and fever?

Low grade fever and chest congestion, coughing up, after 5 days of medication.

What color is the phlegm that you are coughing up?

How high is your fever?

Do you hear any wheezing? A wheeze is a high pitched musical noise.

Are you able to breathe okay when laying down, or do you have to sit up to feel you are getting enough air?

Any chest or back pain?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Phlegm is green, not as dark and yuky as at first. Fever only about 2 degrees, do have wheezing, am able to breathe ok laying down, no pain.

I am concerned about your phlegm still being green after five days of Levaquin. Are you a smoker?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Not a smoker. I'm concerned also, especially since I just brought my husband home from the hospital after having a heart attack. My plan is to try to get back to my doc on Monday. I'm just wondering if I have walking pneumonia or just acute bronchitis.
Thank you for your help.

I am thinking YOU should be the one answering the questions! I was on the same wavelength...acute bronchitis or pneumonia.

Since you are still running a fever, green phlegm and wheezing after five days, I would call your physician. Either your doctor, or the doctor on call, will answer or call you back.

I recommend a chest x-ray (this can be done outpatient today), and probably a switch to a different antibiotic maybe, such as Avelox. If you cannot get hold of your physician for any reason, an urgent care would be able to get an x-ray.

You definitely don't want to get run down even more being a care giver at this time.

I hope this was of help to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best wishes to you and your husband.