Rylee-RN,CNM, Nurse
Experience:  I have been a Registered Nurse for 11 years, practicing as a school RN, now in an OB/GYN office

Why am I always wet in the vaginal area, all the time

I gave birth to my baby boy just over a year ago. It was a very hard labor with two incisions and tearing after that, right to the rectum - I had many stitches (over 40 I think) but every function is fine now. I have only been experiencing extreme wetness all the time - there is no strong odor per say but I feel like I always have to wear a pad. Is this related?
Category: Health
Expert:  Rylee-RN,CNM replied 8 years ago.

Hello there,

Having excessive vaginal wetness is not an uncommon problem in women, and I do not feel like this is caused from your hard labor. The only possibility taht it is related to your labor, is sometimes after childbirth, women develop urinary incontinence simply from giving birth, and this can cause urine to leak out when sneezing, coughing, lifting heavy items etc. If this is the case, there are kegel excercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles and avoid this problem.

Here are some other causes of common vaginal wetness.

Excess perspiration

Your period, discharge from hormonal fluctuations

Sexual activity

Vaginal infections

Normal discharge is generally clear, or a little milky white, and has no unpleasant odor, and is not accompanied by burning or itching.

If it has a foul odor, itches, any sores, swelling, and vaginal irritation, this is considered not normal and you need to be seen by a doctor.

Since you do not show any signs of infection, this is probably just normal for you. There are things you can do to control the wetness, such as OTC products such as deodorant powders that can be found at any drug store, even Wal-mart. Vagisil has a highly recommended powder, that is talc free, and has cornstarch to help absorb water. This should assist you in your problem, if wetness continues, or signs of infection develop, please see your doctor. Thank you.