Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I usually do not use tampax but while on a boat in the summer of 2005

I am a 37 year old female. I usually do not use tampax but while on a boat in the summer of 2005, I started my period and it was the only thing available. It was one that did not have a draw string. Long story short I forgot all about it. I started to have bad symtoms, cramping, foul smell and bad back aches. After 3 months of this (no insurance) and using everything I could over the counter, I went in and had a pap smear done (Fall of 2005) they found nothing. The symtoms continued until the early part of December 2005 when I had a VERY painful period and the tampon finally came out! The painful periods, severe sympmtons of PMDD and back pain continued interuppting my life . When I finally had health insurance,I went to the Dr. in the fall of 2007. Had another pap and when I called for results was told that everything was fine. Symtoms continued. I went back again in January 2008 and was told that the pap I had in Setember showed I had a infection and abnormal pap and I was never told
Greetings Jacelyn,

Could you please clarify what your question is exactly?

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Bernon's Post: What long term effects can something like this cause? I am awaiting a appointment with another Dr. but it could take weeks. I have been living with this awful pain now due to the imcompetince of a Dr. office and am scared as to what I may be facing.

Untreated infection long term causes increased risk of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. this can cause pain and inflammation and more seriously can lead to fertility problems due to blockage of fallopian tubes.

Unfortunately the damage may have been done as early as the three months of self treating so you may struggle to make a claim against your doctor. However in the meantime you need to get diagnosis and appropriate treatment. I would suggest that you arrange a hystosalpinogram which is an investigation to check the patency of the tubes. You should have an ultrasound to check that ovaries are appropriate in size and also that there is no unexpected thickening of the uterus lining.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.