Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I severe pain in the groin area, difficulty walking and ...

I severe pain in the groin area, difficulty walking and lifting my leg.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Pain in the distribubution you describe is usually related to either the hip joint, or the muscles around this joint /pelvis.

I would suggest that you see your doctor as soon as possible for a full history, an examination to include range of motion, and power as well as possible MRI or X ray.

Things that we need to rule out are avascular necrosis, osteoarthritis and inflammatory arthritis as well as simpler things like pulled muscle.

Once the diagnosis has been made and assuming that urgent surgical intervention is not necessary then treatment will be a combination of tylenol, ibuprofen and physical therapy.

Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I would like to ask more questions about the type and nature of the pain in order to ensure that the advice above is appropriate to your individual situation.

Where exactly is the groin pain?

Do you have any swellings or tender areas?

Is there any redness or heat at any point?

Are you able to weightbear on that leg?

What problems do you have with movement?

When is the pain better or worse?

If you can give me as much information as possible that would be very helpful. Did you have any question about the information above?