Dr. M. Lahkar
Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD in Radiodiagnosis

I just ate some port wine cheese and crackers and sour ...

Customer Question

I just ate some port wine cheese and crackers and sour candies then all of a sudden my lower lip swelled way up. I just took benadryl and it seems to be going down but not much yet. Do I need to see a droctor or is this a allergic reaction I have never been allergic to anything?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. M. Lahkar replied 8 years ago.
Hi, generally food allergies are treated with antihistamines. You have rightly chosen benadryl for treatment. As the swelling has come down, you donot haveto take other medications or approah a specialist. But if the symptoms donot subside in a day or two or you develop other severe reactions like breathing difficulty or increasing swelling, please consult an internal medicine specialist as an emergency.

I hope my answer is helpful to you. For accepting the answer, please press the " GREEN ACCEPT" button.I would be highly obliged for a POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS from you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How long does the benadryl take to start working?
Hi, it may take approximately 30 minutes for the benadryl or any other antihistaminic to start action and continue to last its action for about 5 to 6 hours if taken in appropriate dose.