Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

I have been on my period for about 11 days. It is

I have been on my period for about 11 days. It is very heavy and has clots. I am 46. Is this normal or should I panic? Am I going through the change or is there something wrong with me? Do I need to go to see my doctor quicikly?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.

No- this is not normal at all. Any bleeding that lasts 10 or more days needs to be evaluated by a doctor to determine the cause. If you are changing one or more pads or tampons in an hour or less, you need to see a doctor immediately as this is considered excessive bleeding and can lead to anemia. Period abnormalities can be due to many things including stress, weight gain/loss, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, infection, illness, medications, polyp, cyst, amongst other reasons. The only way to know for sure exactly what is going on is to see your doctor for an exam and testing. Quite possibly a hormonal imbalance is occurring. In this case a doctor would check your levels via blood test, and give you something to stop the bleeding.