Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

woman in thirties has anaemia and after exhaustive medical ...

woman in thirties has anaemia and after exhaustive medical tests cannot find reason. Has had one blood transfusion, cannot tolerate iron injections, has had iron infusions three times and is now finding she is finding these are followed by intense headaches and heart pain
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 6 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

How long has she had this anemia?

What is her level of hemoglobin?

Has she had bone marrow examination?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
her hemoglobin has been as low as 93g/L
she has not had bone marrow scan, has had wireless capsule endoscopy,colonoscopy, pelvis scanned, has a gallstone.
no koilonychia,no oddema, chest clear abdomen soft, non-pigmented stria and diffuse low abdominal pain.
Has been treated since Nov 2006, patient feels she has been suffering lethargy and breathlessness for sometime.
Has had gastroscopy with duodenal biopsy normal
Some important causes of anemia like bleeding from the intestines, intrinsic factor deficiency, etc. have been eliminated.

I would suggest that you consult a hematologist. A hematologist is a specialist in blood diseases.

Persistent anemia needs to be investigated further.

Other causes of anemia for which she needs investigation is to find out whether there is any bone marrow suppression. For this she would need a bone marrow aspiration.

Her type of hemoglobin also needs to be evaluated, with a full hemogram.

For all this, you should consult a hematologist. You should discuss about bone marrow aspiration with him.

Once the cause of the anemia is found, this cause can be treated.

There are many causes of anemia, icluding renal diseases, etc. All these need to be investigate for and ruled out.

You can look up here:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic132.htm

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In regard to renal diseases and anemia, what symptoms would she present and would not her specialists have taken this into consideration.
I agree that she should consult a hematologist.What treatment would follow once her type of hemaglobin had been evaluated.
She is intolerant to gluten and can tolerate goats milk but not cows milk. This was not a problem when she was in her teens and early thirties. She is allergic to fish, shellfish
Yes, her specialists might have screened her for renal disease, but it cannot be said for sure. You should check this out with them.

Anemia is often the first sign of a renal disease, so she might not have any other symptom.

But of course there are many other causes. SInce she has already been investigated and treated, without any permanent cure, I would suggest that you consult a hematologist.

Gluten intolerance might cause nutritional anemia if she has not been taking a proper diet due to this, otherwise it would not cause anemia directly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your answer but you did not comment on my question in regard to what treatment would follow once her type of haemoglobin had been evaluated,i.e
As I said, it will depend on the cause of her anemia.

If it is determined to be nutritional, then nutritional correction will suffice.

If it is found to be due to bone marrow suppression, steroids, etc. will be needed.

If she has an abnormal hemoglobin, then she will again need other supplements.

So the first thing is to find out the cause of the anemia. The treatment will depend on the cause. There is no common treatment, individual treatments will vary depending on the cause.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your reply, will follow up on your suggestions, should we finally find a solution would it be possible to contact you through this site to let you know the outcome?
Yes of course.

You can follow up on this question from the email in your inbox or you can ask a new question and begin with:For Dr. Evans.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.