Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

I recently noticed a small white lump/bump on the ...

I recently noticed a small white lump/bump on the inside of mylip. It does not hurt, I chewed on it with my teeth, and it seemed to flatten out. but today it is back and is a bump again. is this a cold sore or some form of herpe?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

How large is it, about the size of a pin head or larger? Is there only one or more?

Is there any ulceration?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: The bump is slightly bigger than a pin head. I do not know what an ulceration is. Want to make sure it is not something i caught from someone ese.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes only one
This is neither Herpes nor a cold sore.

In both, there would be ulceration, that is, a sore where the mucosa is removed and the raw area beneath is exposed. This is quite painful. There is no lump in either.

The most likely thing is that you had a bite in the area which has healed leaving behind a small lump of fibrous tissue, this will resolve by itself.

The other likely thing is that these are waht are called Fordyce's glands, these are small clumps of sebaceous tissue which are found in the inside border of the lips, they are quite common and completely harmless.

Some amount of Fordyce's glands, more or less, are found on upto 8/10 people.

They are no cause of worry at all, they are perfectly normal glands, only their location makes them visible. You should not worry about them.

You can look up here:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.