Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

My calf is sore & a little swollen after pulling ...

My calf is sore & a little swollen after pulling something a few weeks ago. It feels better when I stay off it but it''s hard to stay off it.   I also get muscle spasms after I''ve been on it a while. What should I be doing to heal this quickly?

Hello Shemenner,

Your problem is probably due to strained calf muscle is a partial tear of the small fibers of the calf muscles.

Take rest as much as possible.

If normal walking hurts, shorten your stride.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or acetaminophen (Tylenol) may be helpful to relieve pain and inflammation.

If you still have tenderness in the calf while taking these drugs, do not return to physical activity.

Use hot compression which sometimes gives soothing effect.

Strengthening exercises may be done when there is no pain but within limitation.

If it persists consult your doctor evaluation and appropriate management.

If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to explain you.

If you find this information helpful, please press ACCEPT button. Bonus is appreciated.

Your Positive Feed back is very important to me. Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, Doctor. Would it be better to keep it wrapped in an ace bandage? If so, for how long at a time?
Yes you can use it when you move around.

While taking rest you need not to use.

Wrap from the toes up the leg so as to not cause swelling below the wrapping. Be careful not to wrap the bandage too tightly.