Mrs. E Brush
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Experience:  RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"
7454593

I NEED TO USE DISPERSIBLE DOXYCYCLINE FOR AN STI. Can this ...

Customer Question

I NEED TO USE DISPERSIBLE DOXYCYCLINE FOR AN STI. Can this medecine be added to a hot drink such as tea or coffee
Category: Health
Expert:  Mrs. E Brush replied 6 years ago.

This medication should NOT be mixed with hot drinks which can reduce the effectivenss of it. The recommendation is to take it mixed in water or juice or even mixed into cool applesauce. Doxycycline might be less effective if taken with food or milk (or other products high in calcium).

I hope this answers your question- please remember to press accept.

Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Experience: RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will be totally honest and say that i need to give my partner the medicine as i have a sti but if she finds out she will leave me and the children.
That does not change the fact that the medication will be less effective (thus may not cure the infection) if put in hot fluids. It is considered unethical to drug someone without their knowledge and without them being tested to ensure that this medicine is appropriate for them and that it will not harm them- especially since it would be impossible for you to recieve a prescription meant for someone who is unaware of it. It may be difficult to face the truth with your partner, but if you love and care for them, you will understand it is important for them to recieve physical evaluation to prevent complications from the STI that can include PID, infertility or abnormal changes to the cells of the cervix (if she is female).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you
Your welcome. I hope you can resolve this, good luck.