DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

I am experiencing diaharea and and a lot of gurgling in my ...

I am experiencing diaharea and and a lot of gurgling in my stomach over the last two days. I used Maalox total and have had a black watery stool as well. I am not sure if this is a virus or more serious? Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Maalox total is known to cause dark coloured stools. Bleeding in intestines can also cause black colour of stools. It is best to confirm with stool examination.

Diarrhea lasting for longer than 3 days or with black coloured stools is an indication for medical consultation.

I would suggest consulting a physician for physical exam, stool tests & prescription medications. In the meanwhile drink plenty of fluids & take rest.

For more information, please read this

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any other way to tell if I am bleeding internally or having ulcers?
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Stool examination for presence of blood is the simplest way to dignose GI bleeding.

It cannot be judged clinically unless a lot of blood loss makes you very pale.