Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

There was a lot of blood after my husband & I had sex, ...

Customer Question

There was a lot of blood after my husband & I had sex, like I had started my period. Other than being messy, I wasn''t concerened, because it was right around the time for me to start, maybe a bit early, but not too bad. There was no pain durning sex. The question I have is that, since then there has been no blood at all. Like I hadn''t reall started.   And it has been over 24 hours. Is this something to worry about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 9 years ago.
Dear XXXXX 12770,

Welcome to justanswer.com .

You need to wait and watch to see if you get your normal periods .Also in case you tend to have bleeding which is not like normal periods off and on then further investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen may be considered to rule out any pelvic pathology .

I hope this helps to answer your query .
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.
Lisa,

Bleeding after sex is never normal and needs to be evaluated by a doctor. I would not wait and have this checked out. This can be due to many things including cervical dysplasia, chlamydia, gonorrhea, vaginitis or cervicitis, cervical polyps, trichomoniasis, yeast infection, endometriosis or adenomyosis, uterine polyps, and fibroids. You will need to see your doctor for an exam and testing to determine the exact cause. You can read more about these conditions here
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/menstruation/a/bleedaftersex.htm