Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

sciatic nerve..My left thigh muscles went into a spasm..ligaments

Hi, I had a fall at work and I think it may have caused a herniated disc which pinched the sciatic nerve. My left thigh muscles went into a spasm so badly that I think they tore the ligaments in my knee. Since then the muscles have relaxed and I have experienced muscle wasting and my leg keeps buckling under me. The skin around my inner knee feels like it is on fire and my whole left leg below the knee is numb. Is this a known condition?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 6 years ago.

Hello

This sounds to be Sciatic nerve dysfunction due to your fall.The condition is called sciatica.It occurs when there is damage to the sciatic nerve, located in the back of the leg.

Numbness & tingling sensation is one of the complication of sciatica.

You need EMG(Electromyography is a test that assesses the health of the muscles and the nerves controlling the muscles),Nerve conduction tests.

The treatment varies from medications,injections,physical therapy to surgery to remove the lesions that press on the nerve.

So make an appointment with neurologist for the best treatment option.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000686.htm

Hope this helped.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you but what about the knee/leg

The symptoms of leg/knee are due to Sciatic nerve dysfunction. You need prescription medications for this.Till then for relief take tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day.It is available at counter.

Hope my answers had helped you.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. Bonuses and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm still not satisfied about the possibility of torn ligaments in the knee due to spasm.

Ok

Sciatic nerve controls the muscles of the back of the knee and lower leg.When the nerve root gets compressed,the symptoms of spasm in muscle,muscular pains & symptoms like torn ligaments are felt because the nerve supplies to these muscles.

And thats why I adviced you to have EMG (a recording of electrical activity in "muscles").

So I conclude that all these symptoms due to sciatica & when you will take treatment,all these symptoms will go away.

Hope this had helped you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks again,

Sorry to be so pedantic about this. Can you tell me the names of the prescription medicines?

Regards
Ian

Oh!

Prescription medications are given only after examination.Phenytoin, carbamazepine, or tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline,steroids may be precribed.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. Bonus and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist