Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Hi - my son has just had chickenpox (4 wks ago) with

Hi - my son has just had chickenpox (4 wks ago) with the spots now gone and eventually one of the inflamed glands behind his ear now back to normal (2 wks ago) My wife has just recovered from tonsilitus (or at least inflamed tonsils with white rubbish) and had a really bad fever which my son now has currently. He claims to have sweated in bed causing the emergence of a few red spots with pus on them. In itself, I was not that worried but they have since become 12 yesterday and now 20 today. We took him to the doctor today to be told not shingles and its viral albeit we have some penicillan. The only other change is that I just been diagnosed with Tinea foot and groin. There is so much ''noise'' I am not sure what is causing what and whether we should do anything else? Help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
I am a pediatrician,
I would agree that from your description it dos not sound like Shingles.
A local infection due to a viral / bacterial infection is more likely.
A fungal infection would not spread this fast, so I do not believe that there is any connection at the present between your tinea and this lesion.
I am pretty sure that you do not need to get excessively worried, though you may need antibiotics for him if the fever worsens, or the rash starts oozing, worsening,
regards
Dr. Gupta