Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I stopped taking birth control 5 months ago and I have HPV.

I stopped taking birth control 5 months ago and I have HPV. I had surgery to remove precancerous cells in February of 2006. Since then every PAP comes back perfectly clear. My husband and I are now trying to conceive. My last period was February 27, 2008; I have been using an ovulation monitor to predict ovulation. It said I should have ovulated on March 10th or 11th. I started cramping on from March 23rd on and off until now. They were pretty bothersome in the beginning and now they are hardly noticeable. I had some spotting on March 24th and 25th. My nipples have been tender on and off since March 29th. It is now 4/1 (4/2 will be 5 weeks) and I still don't have my period. I have taken three tests and they have all been clearly negative. I don't know if it is too early to contact my doctor or if I should be concerned. Should I contact her now or should I wait another week?
Hello E Elliott,

Pregnancy may occur even if there is spotting. Spotting may be due to implantation of the fertilized ovum.

Home pregnancy test may not always be positive just after missed period. Sometimes it takes 5-10 days after the missed period also.

You can contact your gynecologist who can order blood hormonal pregnancy test which is more confirmatory and becomes positive earlier.

If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to explain you.

If you find this information helpful, please press ACCEPT button. Bonus is appreciated.

Your Positive Feed back is very important to me. Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.D. Saha's Post: Would you suggest I call my doctor and ask for a blood test or should I wait another week and take another HPT? Could these symptoms mean I didn't ovulate this month?
You may wait for another week as the test results are more likely to be positive by that time.
By that time if necessary ultrasound study may also be carried out to confirm &
gynecologist will be able to elicit more signs.

The symptoms are similar but in no way it is confirmatory that you didn't ovulate last month.