Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

wake up with very swollen eyes, top lids swelled similar to ...

Customer Question

wake up with very swollen eyes, top lids swelled similar to punching, no bruising, bottom of eyes swollen and both top an bottom skin ''burned'' red raw and felt like had been burned. Additionally, lips dry and peeling, not swollen but already peeling. Second occurrence in a month with no change to diet or cosmetics.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Are you taking any medications?

Are you diabetic or hypertensive?

When was the last episode? How did it subside?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am actually living in Townsville North Queensland Australia, my husband is at Frot Benning therefore the reason for my address.
In answer to questions, I have not taken any medication of any type except for Berocca for 3 x months. Previous to that i was taking prednisone and methotrexate for nearly x 12 mths and then cleared of them by Nov 07. I have a history of diabetes in my aunties. I am a person who can be very stressed through work and ack this, I am rather concerned about these unusual things that are quite painful and of cource cause me concern.

Greetings again. Sorry for the further questions, but it would help in answering your concern.

Why were you taking the immunosuppresants prednisone and methotrexate?

When was your last blood work including the blood sugar were done?

Thank you for hanging in there.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was mis-diagnosed with what appeared to be a bone virus that caused me bone and joint pain. Additionally, when being diagnosed for that virus, the bone bone scans showed I had a stress fracture to my right femur which i was unaware of, surprise you say, i had suffered with restrictions with myself before, but as as military member i had considered the "sore hip and leg" something of the "normal". I had have since been in significant rehab for return to work and rebuilding and totally testate to physio and am now now most confused as to why my body is "burning" where it has never burned before. Your knowledge will will be appeaciated. Regards
{ps.. my eyesight has certainly been affected through the whole process}

Hello Jennifer,

This phenomenon seems to be either an allergic phenomenon or an immunological one. As your symptoms are not typical of a disease process, it will need investigations to conclude for the diagnosis. Since you are not taking any medications (which are one of the commonest cause of allergies world wide), chance of being it immunological is substantial. Episodic presentation is another reason for its likelihood. To label the immunological phenomena, some blood work is essential. I would strongly suggest that you should consult an IMMUNOLOGIST/Rheumatologist.

Following blood investigation would be warranted:

Anti-SSA (Ro) or Anti-SSB (La)

Anti-ribosomal P

Lupus anticoagulant

Coombs test

C-reactive protein

ASLO titer

RA factor

With your previous history of bone and joint pain it is all the more prudent. Meanwhile allergic phenomenon can be ruled out by getting simple tests like total eosinophil counts and vacuolated eosinophil counts. I give lot of weight to your eye sight deterioration. This needs to addressed as early as possible. An eye physician with a immunologist collectively will be helpful to each other for arriving on the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have used an oil to ease my burns and appreciate your assistance, I shall join my husband in Fort Benning at the end of the year and enjoy a year in USA in 2009 and hopefully meet some of you "great blokes!"
from an 'Aussie'

You are welcome, Jennifer.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What are you doing sitting on the internet anyway? Should you not be spending time with family? Study and work are a component of life - you should be living... i do appreciate having a response though, it made me feel a little more important and I know I am not a "dummy" but certaintly told me what I was already scared of! Regards

Taken your advice, madam. OK. Leaving this computer immediately!!