Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
6079351

I do body pump class twice a week for my weight training ...

I do body pump class twice a week for my weight training since I am 58 and need to lift weights, is this adequate. Also I notice on the treadmill to burn fat I should work at a lower heart rate than what I am doing. My goal is to lose fat so should I back my pace down?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 8 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer

First of all, let me congratulate you on taking active steps towards a healthy lifestyle. Weight bearing exercise is excellent for bone health and should be done on a regular basis 3 times per week (try every other day) to be most effective.

In order to lose fat on the treadmill, what you should most be looking at is the amount of calories that you are spending during exercise. I would not get too focused on specific heart rate goals if you want to lose fat... the most important thing is to spend those calories. On the other hand, for cardiovascular health, the goal should be to maintain your heart rate elevated for at least 30minutes at a time, a minimum of 3 times per week.

As always, it is a good idea to see your physician regularly, especially before increasing your exercise schedule, just to make sure that you are medically cleared to do so.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Bernon's Post: what should my heart rate be for cardiovascular, I amd 58.
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 8 years ago.
Greetings,

The best estimate for a goal heart rate is 220 minus your age whichs equals 162 beats/minute.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon