Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
6079351

pill..light brownish pinkish discharge for about 5 days..normal period

Customer Question

Hello please help these last two months my periods have been very different. Im not under any stress and my periods are normally like clock work, ive been off the pill for nearly 2 years so i know its nothing to do with that and ive been having periods since i was 12 im 20 now. The past two months when my period is due (every 31 days) i will have light brownish pinkish discharge for about 5 days, then i will have more or less a normal period for about 6 days. This has never happened previously just the last 2 months. What could be up i feel a bit sick sometimes and have had a few nose bleeds and a bit constipated. My boyfriend and i were tryin for a baby but i took a test a month ago which was negative but have heard some people dont know they are pregnant for several months x
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 8 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer

I understand your concerns since these periods have been quite different than your average. There are several things that should be ruled out although in the end, it may just be a normal variation of your cycles.
The most important things that should be looked in to are:
1) Pregnancy: please take another home pregnancy test now and again in a few weeks to see if this is the cause
2) Hypothyroidism: This is a low level of hormones produced by the thyroid gland which can often cause changes in menstruation (periods) as well as other symptoms (feeling tired, ill etc...)
3) Fibroids in the uterus: these are benign growths in the uterus that also can lead to symptoms as you describe
4) Anemia, low platelets and blood coagulation problems: This should also be ruled out, especially since you are having nosebleeds.

I recommend you see you gynecologist or general practionner to start this work-up which will include a complete examination and blood tests.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are these symtoms of pregnancy then and if so why did the test come up negative before? x
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If so i will be nearly 3 months so shouldn it come up pos now? x
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 8 years ago.
Greetings again,

The most common symptoms of pregnancy include nausea, mood changes, breast tenderness, fatigue, darkening of the areola (nipple area) and food cravings. Home pregnancy test are not 100% reliable, especially if they are done early in the pregnancy, so it would be a good idea to repeat one just to be sure.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon