Daniel Nelson, MD
Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.

Whats wrong

Customer Question

Hi there,

I have been having problems with my stomach over last few weeks. I feel bloated on occasions and when I am going to the toilet, I never feel completely relieved. I have been feeling nauseous, not all the time, but quite often and feel like I have a blockage at the back of my throat. I have been burping more than usual and having heatburn- something I never get. I feel sluggish and fed up because I''m feeling like this
Category: Health
Expert:  Daniel Nelson, MD replied 8 years ago.

In order to better address your concerns and question, I need to ask you a few additional questions:

• May I ask your age, height, and weight?
  • Do you ever notice heartburn, sour taste, or frank acid reflux?
  • Is the timing of the nausea related to ingestion of food or time of day? If so, please explain in detail.
  • Have you noticed any change in the size, shape, colour, or consitency of your stools? If so, please explain in detail.
  • Have you ever had any surgeries?
  • Do you have any medical conditions? If so, please explain in detail.

I will reply once I hear back from you.

Kindest Regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX, MD's Post: Hi, I am 39, weigh 8 stones and 12lbs and I am 5ft 2.
I have had some hearburn and some acid reflux- not lots but definitely more than usual.
Nausea does ease as I take in food, so later on in day is best for me.
No change in stools, just never feel completely relieved
No surgery and no medical conditions

Some of your symptoms are consistent with an ulcer, or at a minimum gastritis, and many ulcers/gastritis lesions are associated with an infection from a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori, or H. pylori for short. Your GI physician can test for this using the EGD scope and taking a small biopsy in the stomach, and also by a simple blood test. Treatment of an H. pylori infection is usually undertaken with a strong antacid prescription along with antibiotics. If the H. pylori test is negative, you will still benefit from a strong proton-pump inhibitor anti-acid medication like Aciphex, Prilosec, Nexium, etc..

Antireflux diet and lifestyle measures: smaller more frequent meals; avoidance of greasy, spicy foods; avoidance of tomotoes, store-bought juices, onions, chocolates, caffeine, mint, and other symptom precipitating foods; no smoking; elevation of the head of the bed on safety blocks by 6-12 inches; no meals or snacks 2 hours before bedtime; avoid large meals, especially late at night.

The symptom constellation that you are describing also overlaps with the possibility of gallstone disease. You physician can evaluate this with some additional blood tests and an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder region. This would be a good measure, as treatment before the stones cause more problems is a wise preventive measure.

As far as the stools and not feeling completely emptied, a good bulk forming fibre supplement will be helpful in this regard. It will allow the normal wave-like movement of the colon to evacuate the stool contents when they are more bulked and easy to handle.

Let me know if you have any additional concerns or questions.

Thank you for visiting's Health Information. I hope that all of your concerns have been addressed and that your experience here was positive and helpful. Please press ACCEPT once your question has been addressed. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

DearCustomer... it looks like your question was posted twice for some reason. I didn't catch the duplicate question until I had already posted. Again, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Kindest Regards,