Daniel Nelson, MD
Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.

I have sebaceous prominence on my penis, is there any ...

Customer Question

I have sebaceous prominence on my penis, is there any possible way to treat or get rid of this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Daniel Nelson, MD replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer Sebaceous cysts and collections of sebaceous material within porous follicles tend to have a resilient and stubborn wall around them. The material can sometimes be extruded from the source, but it will inevitably recur due to the retention of the wall around it below the surface.

The procedure to remove sebaceous, walled collections is excisional surgery -- some will refer to it as cyst enucleation. The wall should be removed along with the contents, and it's much easier to perform when it's not infected, inflammed, or swollen. The physician that is most apt for this procedure is either a Urologist or General Surgeon. It's a brief outpatient procedure in almost all cases. In some cases where cyst excision is not possible, a marsupialisation procedure can be performed to keep the sebaceous collection and cystic structure open to drainage, followed by excision. Almost all sebaceous cysts and collections on the penis are excisable, though.

Thank you for visiting's Health Information. I hope that all of your concerns have been addressed and that your experience here was positive and helpful. Please press ACCEPT once your question has been addressed. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much. It helped a lot.

Happy to help. Take Care. /Daniel