Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine and Pediatrics

My husband who is48 years old and totally blind lives his ...

My husband who is48 years old and totally blind lives his life in great fear that he will drop dead of a massive heart attack at any moment. I am almost certain that this is an expresion of greif from loosing his father to a massive heart attack just 6 days ago His father was 81 years old and had a lot of health problems during the last fiew years of life including renal disease from diabetes he was in stage 3 heart failure wich was seveer history of heart attacks, diabetes, high cholesterol and history of stroke. I don't think my husband realized how sick his dad was. My husband has diabetes wich is well controled with diet and excercise and high blood pressure he takes zesturetic for this he had to go to the hospital the day his father died and he had chest pain the dr. said he was probably stressed from the loss observed him for a day and gave him 25 mg of toprol for two weeks pending a checkup. I have tried to convince him that the risk of mi is low is there anything else I co
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 6 years ago.
Greetings Outlaw,

I understand that this situation must be very difficult for you are your husband given the recent loss. You are correct that this sudden fear of having an MI is part of his grieving process and will diminish with time. There are several factors that can increase the risk of having an MI including diabetes (especially uncontrolled), smoking, high cholesterol, a sedentary lifestyle, obesity and family history... It is good that he was observed in the hospital when he had his chest pain since extreme stress (such as after the loss of a loved one) can indeed lead to an MI.
Although his fears may seem irrational, it is important to support him during this difficult time and help him through grieving. It is good for him to follow-up with his physician to have any other indicated studies done that may be necessary (stress test, echocardiogram etc...) but you should also let your husband know that once the tests have been done and the appropriate medications prescribed, there is nothing else that can be done. We are all mortal and life is better spent enjoying it rather than fearing death.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Internal Medicine and Pediatrics