DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

recently developed an insatiable desire to drink fluids

My son is 15. He has recently developed an insatiable desire to drink fluids. He is also intolerant of cold where he never used to be. I have taken him to doctors and all they tell me is to limit his fluid intake. He just can''t. He does not have problems with his blood sugar.
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
Hello ,

Excessive intake of fluids is not normal. Various condition in which there is intake of large amount of water are Bleeding , Diabetes insipidus, Drugs such as anticholinergics, diuretics, phenothiazines, profuse sweating, diarrhea, severe infections (sepsis) or burns, Heart, liver, or kidney failure, recent salty or spicy meal , cushing's syndrome , proximal renal tubular acidosis. It can be due to a psychiatric condition know as Psychogenic polydipsia. In this patients drink lot of fluids and as the result there is excessive urination which is low in electrolyte.This occur in patients with mental illnesses or in a subset of schizophrenics.Diabetes is the common cause of excessive thrist,as you son blood sugar level is normal.Please visit your doctor and consult him regarding Psychogenic polydipsia and other mentioned conditions.

For detailed information please visit :