Dr F.Faraz
Dr F.Faraz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,FCPS. Experience in Medicine, Surgery Gynae/OBS and Ophthalmology
9268425

MY 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WAS KINDA DIAGNOSED WITH HAVING PINK ...

MY 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WAS KINDA DIAGNOSED WITH HAVING PINK EYE OR ALLERGIES. I SAY KINDA BECAUSE THE DOCTOR WAS UNSURE. SO HE PRESCRIBED GENTAMACIN EYE DROPS AND BENADRYL. BUT IT DOESN''T SEEM TO BE HELPING! SHE IS STILL COMPLAINING HER EYES HURT, AND THAT THEY''RE ITCHY. SHE TRIES NOT TO TOUCH THEM, BUT WHEN SHE DOES HER EYES GET SWOLLEN AND RED ALL OVER AGAIN. WHEN I BOUGHT HER INTO THE ER, ONE OF HER EYES WAS SO ENLARGED, IT LOOKED LIKE HER EYEBALL WAS COMING OUT OF HER FACE! WHAT AM I TO DO AND DOES THAT REALLY SOUND LIKE PINK EYE!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr F.Faraz replied 6 years ago.

Well i would need some more information please.

Are both of her eyes red?

Do they get sticky in the morning?

Is she having running nose?

For how many days has she taken the gentamycin eye drops?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr F.Faraz's Post: YEAH BOTH EYES, BUT THE LEFT EYE MORESO. THAT'S THE EYE THAT GOT EXTREMELY LARGE AND THE ONE THAT GOT RED AS A STRAWBERRY. THE OTHER EYE IS SEMI RED, BUT IRRITATED. SHE SAYS BOTH EYES ITCH AND BURN, SOMETIMES AT THE SAME TIME, OTHER TIMES NOT. UH, NOT THAT I'VE SEEN IN THE PAST FEW DAYS. OR AT LEAST NOT EVERY MORNING. NO RUNNY NOSE, BUT HACKING COUGH, IT SOUNDS REAL DRY! BEEN TAKING THE DROPS FOR A WEEK

Hello there,

Well if her eyes are sticky as well then she is suffering more from an infection rather then an allergy and i think gentamycin should be working with it. How many times do you put the eye drops into her eyes, sometimes the kids can't retain the drops in their eyes because of the irritation and thus the effect isn't seen, you can also look for the gentamycin eye ointment, and put them in her eye before she goes to sleep so in this way it would have more time to effect...

Besides this you can also do some of the following :

Make her wear sunglasses when she goes out in the sun so that it doesn't hurt her eyes.

wash her eyes thoroughly with cold water 4-5 times a day.

Keep her towels and clothes separately

Don't let her rub them.

Try these maneouvers for 2-3 more days and then take her back to the eye specilaist if the symptoms do not improve.

Don't get worried as the eye infections usually take a longer time to go away as compared to the allergies.

Best of luck and take care

Do feel free to talk to me for any further querries.

Dr Faiqa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr F.Faraz's Post: SO YOU DON'T THINK THAT IT'S MAYBE MORE THAN JUST AN EYE INFECTION OR PINK EYE? AT HER SCHOOL THEY WONT PUT HER EYE DROPS IN, SHE'S SUPPOSED TO GET THEM EVERY 4 HOURS.

Well hi again

You see this is an eye infection and its very imporant that the eye drops be put into her eyes 4 hourly. What i say is that you don't send her to school for a few days as this is infectious and probably she got it from her school in the first place. Kids don't care and its supposed to be kept clean ,like regularly washed and away from dust with minimum sun exposure.

To be more aggressive you could also go for the gentamicin eye ointment.

Best of luck, and take care

Dr F.Faraz, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,FCPS. Experience in Medicine, Surgery Gynae/OBS and Ophthalmology