Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

yeast infections in 2 fingernails for several years..dermatologist

Customer Question

I have had yeast infections in 2 fingernails for several years. This was
confirmed by my dermatologist. I use
OXISTAT with minor success. Is there
anything better on the market?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

In addition to the drug that you have used there are other antifungal drugs in the market which are commonly used for the treatment of nail fungus infection:
  • Itraconazole (Sporanox)
  • Fluconazole (Diflucan)
  • Terbinafine (Lamisil)
Nail fungal infections need to be treated for 6-12 weeks of continuous antifungal therapy for good results. Sometimes it is very frustrating for the doctor and patient alike to treat the nail fungus infections because of the very fact that the nails have very little blood supply which makes it difficult for drugs to reach the site where the drug is needed the most.

Kindest Regards
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.
Lizr

Thanks for asking me to answer your question.

Can you tell me if clippings have been sent of your nails to the lab for microscopic examination and culture?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Physician's Post: Months ago my dermatologist said none of these would
help.
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 6 years ago.

Well these are the top line drugs that are available for the treatment of fungal infection of the nails. The best thing however is to get a culture from pulverized nail scrappings or clippings. During the culture they also test for sensitivity of the fungus to various antifungal drugs to find out which drug is the best for curing your fungus.

Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. Nail clippings and scraping were cultured.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

Do you know the result?

Yeast can be difficult to culture and sometimes several samples need to be sent before a positive culture is obtained.

Dr Jef