Kamran
Kamran, Doctor
Experience:  BSc MBBS MRCP (UK)
8760168

pimple..lack of a better term) in my pubic region..penis..herpes

The last few months, I have had occasional issues with dime sized or slightly smaller pimple-like "abscesses" (for lack of a better term) in my pubic region. They have appeared from the edge of my pubic hair to the border with my genitals, but not on either my penis or testicales. They do not fit any of the descriptions for herpes or any other STD, and I have not had sexual contact with anyone in more than a year (nearly 2).
They are considerably deeper than "normal" pimples, and slightly painful when palpated. They are mostly fluid-filled, but with a firmer "core." Their surface is smooth and slightly raised and not associated with a hair follicle, and have a red or purple hue. If left alone, they go away after a few days or up to a week or so. If drained (I have only done this once), copious ammounts of bright red blood are released with some force, perhaps 3-4ml, with small ammounts of firm pus; and the healing is slow. Does this sound familiar?
Hello thereCustomer Can you tell me how old you are? Any other medical problems? How many times has this happened? Any other symptoms - ie abdominal pain, bowels working OK?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm a 26y/o male with no other symptoms.
It has happened maybe 10 times in 6 months.
I have recently moved to a new apartment, but it is quite clean, however the thought of an insect bite has occured to me, but I would expect to find them in other areas as well then.
Have you ever had a dental abscess or has this problem occured anywhere else in your body? Have you been to see a doctor about it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, no, and no. It's rather difficult to get a doctor's appt. before it heals.

OK. There are several reasons why people develop boils or abscesses. Having a weak immune system (conditions like diabetes and kidney disease) can cause you to have recurrent boils. Inflammatory bowel disease (like Crohns disease) can also make you more likely to develop boils. Sometimes, if your body does not produce the antibodies, or immunoglobulins, to fight infections, this can be another reason. Skin conditions like acne, hidradenitis suppuritiva can cause recurrent boils as well.

Using antibacterial soaps to prevent the buid up of bacteria that cause the boils, can help.

You may also want to take a look here:

http://www.medicinenet.com/boils/article.htm

I would consider seeing your doctor to be reviewed and examined to rule out any conditons that can be associated with recurrent boils.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, thank you. I'll try switching to an antibiotic soap for the area and see if that helps (though I don't like contributing to the gradual formation of resistant bacteria...)
No problem. Please let me know how you get on and please leave feedback.