Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

Kidneys..stones..External itching all over body at night

Kidneys VERY uncomfortable: calcium oxylate stones in my history since age 18 [now almost 63]. Stone expelled yesterday from right kidney; left kidney then began hurting seriously. External itching all over body at night. Genetic kidney disease resulted in loss of kidney function for youngest son ->transplant at age 26. Am I now feeling loss of kidney function, ie dialysis next?
The kidney stones may lead to loss of renal function over time, however, the symptoms alone of the stones have no correlation with the kidney function. For this you need to see what your creatinine level is. This is one of the best indicators of kidney status as it correlates well with glomelular filtration rate. Normal rate is considered to be around 90 or better, so you should have your creatinine levels checked to make sure you know where you are at. Sincerely