Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

Whats going on with my sons eye

My 18 year old son complained of what I thought was a stye or pink eye although I couldn''t see anything. He said his eyelid was stuck together. Tonight he came to me and his eye was oozing a clear red liquid. After rinsing it well in the shower, it seemed mildly red on the upper lash line but only as much as rubbing might cause. The inside of the eye is not discolored, nor is any part of the outside. He says it hurts a little. He does wear contacts but would not go without them today. He has been using eye drops for about 2 weeks since being on Accutane for acne. Thanks for any suggestions!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.

there are two likely causes. He could be having an eye infection, or it could be due to a reaction to the contact lenses.

Contact lenses can cause sudden irritation sometimes even after years of use. This may be due to improper handling with contaminants or due to some frictin of the lens. He might also be having an infection.

In either case, he needs to show an eye doctor. This is not something that you can treat at home.

You should consult an eye doctor for this. He may need antibiotics for this.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.