Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

A buttery taste in the mouth. I have brushed and used mouth ...

A buttery taste in the mouth. I have brushed and used mouth wash several times today to get rid of the taste. This just started this morning
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about your problem-

Will you please clarify me again about the taste? Is it Bitter / Battery??

How long it is there?

Do you have any flu or upper respiratory tract infection?

Do you have any other disease?

Do you take any medicine?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The taste is like butter, but not salty more like a creamery taste. It kida taste like having butter on toast without the crunch. I have been feeling the taste since about 11:00 AM on 3-30-08 PST. I have not had a cold or any flu like feelings. There are no medications currently being taken.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

I want a few more information please -

Did you have heavy meal last night?

Do you use chlorhexidine mouthwash?

Do you take Cigarette, alcohol?

Do you have dental problem, diabetes or thyroid disease(Though you have not mentioned any disease)?

Are you passing through a anxiety state recently?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In response to your last questions.

1. The last thing that I had on 3-29-08 was cottage cheese and pinnapple.
I had this morning 3-30-08 was sasuage,eggs and hashbrowns, I also had two slices of toast with non salted butter.
2. My prefered mouthwash is Listerine Mint.
3. I quit smoking over 6 years ago.
4. I use some alcohol(Scotch) about once a week in moderation.
5. No dental problems known and no diabetes known
6. N/A
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank a lot for the detailed information.

There are numerous causes of abnormal taste, many of which are usually temporary.

For example,

Common cold, flu, a nasal or sinus infection

Allergy to food

Vitamin or mineral deficiency

Dry mouth (xerostomia) from various causes

Smoking, dental carries,

Diabetes or thyroid disease

Depression, Migraine headache,

Certain medications, Chlorhexidine oral rinse

Damage to the taste nerves from various neurological condition which needs urgent evaluation.

By analyzing you history it may be due to some allergy to some food like pineapple or any. If it is so it will improve by its own way.

You may take multivitamins if there is at all any deficiency.

Take plenty of water sometimes dry mouth may also feel like that though it is unlikely in your case.

If it does not improve consult your physician for detailed examination and investigation.

If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to explain you.

If you find this information helpful, please press ACCEPT button. Bonus is appreciated.

Your Positive Feed back is very important to me. Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience