Rylee-RN,CNM, Nurse
Experience:  I have been a Registered Nurse for 11 years, practicing as a school RN, now in an OB/GYN office

Severe head pain after male ejaculation

No Comment Added
Hi there,

Pain after ejaculation could be due to an infection. You will need to contact your doctor as this is treated with antibiotics that can only be acquired through a prescription.

Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What other causes could this be from. I have also had occassional lower left abdominal pain and dull lower left back pain occassionally. These problems preceeded the pain in this question
Hello, I by no means am trying to interfere with the question that this expert has already answered, but when you said pain in your head, did you mean such as a headache, or in the penis? The reason I ask is because headaches are very common during and after sex, and are generally not a cause for concern.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Rylee-RN,CNM's Post: In my head (right side temple), depending on the intensity of the climax, the sharp head pain is comeserate to the climax level.

I have never expierenced a headache type pain after ejaculation.

Ok I do have a differing opinion on this matter.

Sex headaches are fairly common, and many people report having these yearly.

There are a couple types of sex headaches. First, there are the type that build up for several minutes before ejaculation, and this is usually caused because you are tightening the head and neck muscles during sexual activity. The other common type of sex headaches that occur abruptly at orgasm is generally a response to your blood pressure increasing, which causes the cerebral blood vessels to dilate. These headaches can affect anyone, however, they are more common in men who have or have had migraines. These usually are not a big concern, but if this has only happened once, or the headache doesn't go away shortly after sex, or is not relieved by ibuprofen etc, you should visit your doctor. Rarely it can be a sign of an aneurysm, or cerebral hemmorage. Your doc will probably suggest an MRI to make sure there is not an underlying cause for the headaches.

Fortunately, if you see your doctor, he may prescribe some medication to prevent this from happening again if there is no major underlying cause. The two different types of medications are called beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers, and both can help tin preventing after-sex headaches. You will need a prescription for these drugs so you should talk to your doctor about your problem.

There is also another couple types of medicine the doctor can prescribe, and these are generally just taken about an hour before sex. These are called Indomethacin, which is an anti-inflammatory , and Triptans, which are a class of anti-migraine medication . The beta blockers he could prescribe are taken daily.

So please make a doctors appt, your problem is very treatable. Thank so much, I hope this helps. :)

Rylee-RN,CNM, Nurse
Experience: I have been a Registered Nurse for 11 years, practicing as a school RN, now in an OB/GYN office
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks very much.
Your welcome. Best wishes.