Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

I see flashing lights sometimes, even when I close my eyes, ...

Customer Question

I see flashing lights sometimes, even when I close my eyes, these lights are still here. It is more like a lightning strike type of light or strobe lights. I did have my eyes checked by optimitrist and also a specialist for the retna and all is okay. I did need glasses , however, but was not any cause for the "lights" that I still see. I am concerned of this and it is very annoying to have these "blocks of light" to interfere with my vision.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

hello there

when did these start? what exacty do you see? is it one eye ? both eyes? one then other? how long does the flashing last? is it a spark kind of flash off to the side? or more like a kaleidascope type of lights in a zig zag pattern? Any headaches after these episodes? When did you have the retina evaluated?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Stevens's Post: These are more like kaleidescope flashing lights, and sometimes they appear to be going in circles. sometimes a headache afterwards, but not always. there are also times that I feel like there is a "thump' in my head, near the back part of my head. Just like someone has "hit" me or thumped my head. I have not yet went to see the doctor on this, any recommendations is appreciated.
Hello there

I see patients with similar symptoms quite often. Folks often describe a bright or colorful pattern (sometimes wavy or zigzag in nature) and it can be in one eye and moves to the other, sometimes affecting the central vision. Sometimes there is a headache following this as well. This is called an ophthalmic migraine. The name should not be confused with a migraine headache which is altogether different. The ophthalmic migraine is a visual phenomenon and is benign and requires no treatment, except for more rest, less stress. Sometimes caffeine can help shorten the episode. Just to be sure, you should see an ophthalmologist and get your eyes checked out sometime, Regards

Dr. Stevens