Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

when i run or walk fast, i get a pain in my throat and ...

Customer Question

when i run or walk fast, i get a pain in my throat and sides of neck then procedes to go down in my chest. The only thing that will make the pain go away is to drink ice water
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 years ago.

Do you have acid reflux?

Do you breathe through the mouth when you walk or run fast?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I dont think i have acid reflux.
When I walk or run fast i breath from my nose at first then when the pain comes i breath through my mouth and nose

Pain in the throat on running occurs due to two reasons:

- Acid reflux: the acid can reflux into the esophagus when you run due to jerking of the stomach and its contents. This reflux can cause cramps in the throat with pain. Ice water tends to cool the tissues as well as dilute the gastric acid, decreasing the intensity of the irritation from the acid.

- Breathing in cold air: Breathing in cold air can cause spasms of the throat tissues. Normally the air we breathe in gets warmed up while passing through the nostrils. But while running or walking fast, the air rushes in and can remain cool when it reaches the throat, causing muscles spams and pain. Ice cold water helps relax the muscles.

In your case, it is likely to be the second cause since you do not have acid reflux. Please wrap a hankerchief or other cloth around the nostrils and mouth when you are running to help warm the air.

If the pain still continues, please start taking an antacid like Tums before running for relief.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am in arizona so it isnt cold air that is causing it. Also would it make alot of pain in my chest area?

Pain in the chest is occurs to acid reflux and is unlikely to be due to air.

It is possible that your acid reflux occurs only during running , so you have been unaware of it so far.