Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

Can Seroquel cause my urine drug screens to show positive ...

Can Seroquel cause my urine drug screens to show positive for alcohol?Thankfully, negative etg proved no ingestion of alcohol, I''m not diabetic,would love to know why I get these positive alcohol results 5 or 6 times a year!
Submitted: 8 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.
Seroquel wont cause the positive alcohol test.

However, diabetes is well known to cause a positive alcohol test. This occurs due to ketones in the blood, urine and breath of a diabetic patient.

This occurs in patients whose diabetes is not tightly controlled, you should discuss your positive alcohol tests with yur doctor.

You can look up here:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: Per Seroquel's website, it indicated it can cause high glucose levels in the blood, thereby possibly spilling over into the urine. I have been tested for diabetes by my md - not diabetic. I only take Seroquel 3 or 4 times monthly for insomnia, and thought that could explain the few times my sample showed positive for etoh.
Yes, Seroquel can cause high levels of glucose, but glucose spilling over into the urine would not cause a positive alcohol test. It is the ketones which are producd in diabetic patients which cause a false urine alcohol test.

I am afraid I do not see how you could have had several false positive urine tests, false positives with alcohol are not so common. Seroquel is not implicated in these false positive tests.

You should discuss this and report this to the drug testing company.