Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I get sharp pain in my right side between rib cage and hip ...

Customer Question

I get sharp pain in my right side between rib cage and hip bone twice a month, maybe more. When I sneeze hard, I get the pain in the same side. When the pain comes, it takes my breath away and last only for a minute till it happens again. My doctor ordered a x-ray on my ribs and a cat scan to look for any stones. It all came back negative but I still get the pain. What could it be?? Could it be gas pain?? Could it be a cyst on my ovary?? Also another problem that I have is whenever I go pee, I find clumps of tissue like tanish-white color pieces on the bottom of the bowl. What could that be??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.

Causes of sharp pain in this area may be due to-

Kidney disease

Disease of ovary & uterus

Disease of gall bladder.

Inflammatory bowel disease

Muscular Skeletal pain

You have investigated and CT could not find any abnormality.

You can try anti gas OTC preparation like Mylanta gas or Activated charcoal for few days to check whether you can get relief or not.

Take plenty of water.

You can do a routine test of urine and stool which sometimes give a clue to many diseases.

You can discuss with your doctor regarding these tests.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Since the cat scan came back negative for any abnormalites, what should i do next?? What kind of testing is next for the pain in my side?? I dont like water. I drink alot of 100% juice. What else can I drink to replace water? Gaterade??
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
If you dont like water you may take other liquids also like soups , juice. Increase in liquid uptake will increase the urine output.
As CAT scan has come normal , you may do simple tests of stool & urine .
If these comes out normal then you may do a MRI of the spine to see whether there is any
disc problem pressing on the nerve.