Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My ESR was High 24.0 does this mean I have cancer my ...

My ESR was High 24.0 does this mean I have cancer ? my white blood cells were low 37.0 Why ? my Homocysteine was high at 16.0
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
A high ESR is seen any inflammatory process in the body. A figure of 24 is not alarming. A low WBC count can be seen in multiple conditions like infections, diseases of the liver, spleen, if one has received radiation, collagen vascular disease and rarely in tumor. Based on high ESR and and a low WBC one cannot conclude whether you have cancer. This needs further investigations depending on your symptoms.
A high homocysteine is mostly seen in low Vitamin B levels in body (due to improper eating or bowel problems). Rarely low homocysteine is seen in low thyroid hormone levels and kidney diseases.
I would advise yo not to panic and get any more investigations suggested by your doctor. based on their results and your symptoms only the disease can be diagnosed and appropriate treatment started.
Regards,
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
oK.I took a Liver function test and that was fine.My thyroid was abnormal.is the liver function test accurate ?what are the symptoms of cancer ?My appitite has increased and I gained weight that i am trying to loose now.Ive had night sweats which subsided 4 months ago.my thyroid test was Low.what does this mean ?How does one get a Low Thyroid ?I ALSO GET PULSATING HEARTBEAT FEELING FROM THROAT TO CHEST .why ?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
LFTs are a fair way to assess liver function.
Cancer symptoms can vary, and depend on the cause of cancer, however general symptoms may include persistent unexplained weight loss, persistent fever, and specific symptoms as per the site of cancer, like cough in lung cancer, breast swelling in case of breast cancer etc.
None of your tests are suggestive of any cancer, and you should talk to your doctor about your concerns regarding the reports too.
A low thyroid is a common probem and is mot commonly due to a mild inflammation of the thyroid gland. The actual cause will merit further investigation, the treatment is generally oral thryoxine supplementation.
The pulsating heart beat that is felt, maybe a sign of heart disease, but is more likely to be due to anxiety or stress.
I would urge you to get back to your doctor, and confirm the same, with a detailed physical examination,
regards
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok.lAST QUESTION.MY APPITITE HAS INCREASED AND I GAINED WEIGHT 15 POUNDS,THAT I AM TRYING TO LOOSE NOW.BUT,I I LOST WEIGHT IN MY NECK AREA,AND I AM ALWAYS TIRED.EVEN AFTER A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP.THE MY EYES BURN ALL THE TIME AND THE PULSATING FEELING IN THROUGHOUT THE BODY BACK CHEST NESK KNEE ETC.IF THERE IS WEIGHT GAIN,IS THAT A SAFE ASSUMPTION THAT I DO NOT HAVE CANCER ?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
A weight gain is usually not seen in cancer. What you are describing are symptoms of hypothyroid or low thyroid level in the body.
Read more here
All these symptoms will come to normal once your thyroid hormone supplement starts and your thyroid levels come to normal. The weight gain is also due to hypothyroid.
Regards,
Dr. Gupta