Rylee-RN,CNM
Rylee-RN,CNM, Nurse
Experience:  I have been a Registered Nurse for 11 years, practicing as a school RN, now in an OB/GYN office
9092974

Will the antibiotic Cipro treat Strep Throat?

Yes, Cipro for strep throat is commonly recommended and used to treat many bacterial infections. However, a penicillin-based antibiotic such as Amoxicillin is preferred for the treatment of strep throat.

The Cipro is good for strep throat as long as a full dose is taken completely without missing any pills. If it is not treated fully, it can come back and the whole process starts over.

It is also not recommended to take any antibiotic or any medicine prescribed for someone else. You should always consult a doctor just in case you have an allergic reaction and to make sure your problem is cured. So yes, the Cipro will treat strep throat but I cannot recommend getting treatment this way.

Read full interaction below »

My throat looks terrible. I have been sick and feel better now, been on Cipro for two days. I took my kids to the doctor and both tested negative for strep throat. The doctor put them on Cefzil.

I was just wondering if the Cipro would work for me. I have had strep before and the symptoms I am having are the same.

Category: Health
Expert:  Rylee-RN,CNM replied 8 years ago.

It is also not recommended to take any antibiotic or any medicine prescribed for someone else. You should always consult a doctor just in case you have an allergic reaction and to make sure your problem is cured. So yes, the Cipro will treat strep throat but I cannot recommend getting treatment this way.