Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

What is the life expectancy of someone having severe ...

What is the life expectancy of someone having severe ascites due to liver disfunction ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

Though large ascites causes much discomfort to the patient the real problem is hepatic encephalopathy where the patient may go into coma & bleeding from the varices.

Ascites is treated with various diuretics , often in combination, & restriction of salt & water intake.
Sometimes, when the diuretics do not work a long needle or catheter is used to draw out the ascitic fluid directly from the abdomen, a procedure called abdominal paracentesis. It is used when the ascites is causing painful abdominal distension or difficulty in breathing because it limits the movements of the diaphragms.

Established cirrhosis has a 10-year mortality of 34-66%, largely dependent on the cause of the cirrhosis; alcoholic cirrhosis has a worse prognosis .So the patient with cirrhosis should avoid alcohol totally.

I hope this will satisfy your query.

If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to explain you.

If you find this information helpful, please press ACCEPT button. Bonus is appreciated.

Your Positive Feed back is very important to me.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband died a few weeks ago from liver cirroshis - it got so bad that 15 liters had to be removed . He got an umbilical hernia that ended up exploding . he got the hernia repaired but more fluid accumulated. Then he developed a bowl obstruction so he went to surgery. From then, it went down hill and he developed hepadorenal syndrome. I just want to understand what happened and if there was anything i could have done . The doctors did everything to save him but i need to really understand a bit more.
Thank you in advance for your help. As I am grieving, all information really helps me get some understanding because it went so fast. My husband drank for most of his life - more after he got a cerebral hemorrage/stroke 5 years ago that left him home all day while I was working. I feel guilty : what could I have done ?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
I feel your grief but you should not feel guilty . You couldnot stop working to stay at home to prevent him from drinking.
I feel that when the hepatorenal syndrome developed it went into multiorgan failure & doctors had little to do for him.
Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Was he in pain ? he looked like he was in a coma. He woke up once after the abdomen surgery and he looked like he was suffering. His hands were battling and he looked at me frighten. I asked him if he was in pain and he acknowledged. Then his eyes rolled up and he was not reacting.All I saw when I opened his eyes was the white part of his eyes. Then after two days, his pupils came back but they were fixed. he was on a ventilator, heart monitor, tubes in the stomach and blood started coming into the tube. I was with him days and nights for 5 straight days. I just want to know if he suffered from this or not. Tell me the facts because I just need to know. He is in peace now but I need to understand the last 5 days and nights and whether or not he was suffering. Thank you for your care. It helps me a lot ! Corinne
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
He was on ventilator & there was blood in the tube ,so he developed bleeding ,
which is a serious complication as I wrote earlier.

He was feeling the pain when he was conscious .
But I think during most of last 5 days he was passing through stages of precoma & coma , where his mental awareness was low to feel the pain.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your answers. I hope he did not suffer too much - I miss him so much !
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
I also feel.
If you are satsfied with my answer please press the ACCEPT button, please leave a positive feedback which is very important to me .
Thank you.