DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old and her anterior fontanel has ...

My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old and her anterior fontanel has not closed all the way. It is about a fingertip big. What could this mean? Her pediatrician finds that she is probably developmentally ahead of many kids her age. We did a CT scan today and the only results they told me was that they did see that yes it was still open and about the above size. We have to go and see a neurosurgeon now for a consultation. Should we be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Anterior fontanelle normally closes at average age of 13.8 months. However, in 4 % of the kids it is still open at 2years of age.

The delayed closure of fontanelle can be a normal variation. It can also be due to increased intracranial tension as in hydrocephalus, vitamin D deficiency, achondroplasia, Downs syndrome, congenital hypothyroidism & also a lrage number of other causes which includes many complex syndromes.

If you want to read more about this, pleases read here
Her developmental milestones are reassuring .

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I know those things so far, I just want to know if I should be very concerned or if it could just not be closed yet and not mean anything bad. I would think that I would notice something abnormal about her if she had most of those syndromes. Or they going to suggest any type of surgery?
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
Based on medical information, I can only tell you that 3-4 % of normal kids at her age can have open anterior fontanelle. Also, it is important to exclude any abnormalities causing this problem. And that can only be done by direct consultation with a doctor. It is not possible to give exact diagnosis on the internet. As such I cannot tell about any surgery that he/she might suggest.

Hydrocephalus is one cause for which they might suggest surgery of placing a shunt (from the skull to the abdomen or heart). This is fairly common & safe procedure. Here is more information on hydrocephalus

I would suggest you go to the neurosurgeon with all the medical information you now have & ask him about it.