Lance, Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Experience:  I have 27 years experience in the medical laboratory. I have been a specialist in Hematology for 22.

what type of doctor treats blood clots in the leg

No Comment Added

In regards XXXXX XXXXX question about treatment of blood clots in the leg, it sort of depends on the underlying cause for the clots. If the only problem is the clot or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is the only problem, then any good Internal Medicine doctor should be able to handle the case. If you are looking for someone more specialized, then you might want to locate a Vascular Disease Specialist.

DVT can be a life threatening condition, and needs attention. It is usually initially treated by hospitalization for treatment using the anticoagulant heparin. Once the clot has dissolved, and the patient stabilized, the anticoagulant is usually switched to coumadin which is less risky, and can be administered long term at home with ocassional trips to an outpatient facility to have blood drawn for a PT/INR test to monitor treatment.

These are the most common forms of treatment for DVT, however there are several other anticoagulants available, and usage is based on the patient's condition and the doctor's preference. Hope this helps.