Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

Is my cold sore infected

I first felt the tingling on Sunday night, but I couldn't do anything for it at the time. By Monday, the cold sore had erupted, oozed, and scabbed over. I started taking Herplex on Monday and continued through Wednesday. I also began using Abreva on Wednesday. I have try to keep the cold sore clean, but whenever I wash it, some of the scab comes off. Now, about half of the cold sore is flat with the scab barely noticeable and the other half is scabbed with the scab being a whitish-golden color.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.
From your description it would appear that the cold sore is indeed infected, this would need to be examined for the same.
You may try using an OTC antibiotic like bacitracin, to see if it works, an if there is no response then you need to be seen by a dermatologist
Dr. Gupta