Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

This may seem vague , but my left arm hurts when I lift it ...

This may seem vague , but my left arm hurts when I lift it straight up or lift to the back. If I move it forward it is fine. I have hit nothing or done nothing to my arm. It has been doing this for about 3 days. It is not a extreem pain but enough of one to definitley feel.My right arm is fine in any direction.

Do you have any tingling or burning sensation ?

Does this pain always occur in the same area ?

Please let me know,

Regards,

Dr.Joshi
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No burning sensation and when I lift the arm as mentioned straight up or to the back , the pain is from the shoulder to the elbow mainly.

You are likely to have symptoms of an early Left Upper Limb Radiculopathy.

It comprises of pain with radiation of this pain and numbness along the nerve root affected.

It is caused by a pressure on the exiting nerve roots by bulging inter vertebral discs.

These inter vertebral discs can bulge out to touch/ compress on the nerves.

You seem to be having more of a left sided disc bulge which compresses on the nerve roots thus causing more left sided symptoms.

As this is might be an early stage of bulge, the nerve might be getting pinched only when you lift your arm, this reduces the spade between the disc and the exiting nerve root.

You need to be evaluated by an Orthopedic Surgeon.

An MRI of the Cervical Spine with Shoulder will confirm this compression / disc bulges.

Treatment can range from simple adjustments to exercise routine, sleeping on a firm surface, physiotherapy to minimally invasive disc surgery.

These depend on the degree of disc bulge.

Another possibility is a Suprascapular Nerve Entrapment Syndrome, in this the Suprascapular nerve can get trapped within the ligaments and bones of the shoulder while movement, and produce symptoms along the area of distribution of the nerve.

Again, this can be dealt with by an Orthopedic Surgeon.

I hope this gives you more insight into your health issues.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi