Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

my son has a cholestiatoma in his ear, how long

Customer Question

my son had a cholestiatoma in his ear , it is quite a large cholestiatoma. Originally it was thought to be a hole in the eardrum but at a later date was diagnosed that it was a cholestiatoma, how long does it take for a cholestiatoma to form, is it possible it could have formed within 12 months from the time it was diagnosed as a hole in the ear drum, or could it have been caused by a hole in the eardrum
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.
A cholesteatoma is always associated with a hole in the ear drum. A hole in the ear drum may be caused by a cholesteatoma, or it may be caused by a simple infection.

Holes in the ear drum, or CSOM, are of two types, safe and unsafe. Safe types of CSOM are not associated with a cholesteatoma and unsafe types are associated with a cholesteatoma. So the hole in the ear drum did not cause the cholesteatoma, it was formed separately.

It takes more than a year for a cholesteatoma to form, it must have been forming for a long time, before the hole in the ear drum was formed.

You can look up here:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001050.htm
http://www.emedicine.com/ENT/topic220.htm

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, when my son was diagnosed with a hole in his eardrum his symptoms were dicharge from the ear, smell from the ear, staph infection in the ear & loss of hearing. I take it these are all signs of cholesteatoma?.
He had a large cholesteatoma removed and it had started to erode the ossicles in the ear and had attached itself to the facial nerve. You say it is not possible for this to have formed in a 12 month period?
The cholesteatome has now reapeared and he will now undergo futher surgery, what is the likely hood of him regaining normal hearing in his ear, he is currently deaf.
If the cholesteatoma had been diagnosed earlier would this have meant the outcome would have been better. Eg, if diagnosed and operated on 12 months earlier would he had more of a chance to regain normal hearing?
You misquote me, I did not say that it is not possible for a cholesteatoma to have formed in a 12 month period, but usually it takes longr than that.

It is difficult to comment without seeing the patient. The hearing loss in cholesteatoma is usually due to defects in the bones, this can be corrected to a great extent with surgery and then he will regain much of his hearing. If however there has been nerve loss, which is not common, then he wont regain that part.

Certainly if he had been operated upon earlier, the chances would be better. But it is often difficult to make a diagnosis till the cholesteatoma is large enough to be visible under the microscope.