Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Can genital herpes lay dormant for more than 10 years ...

Can genital herpes lay dormant for more than 10 years before an out break?

Greetings.

Yes, genital herpes can lay dormant or remain asymptomatic (initial outbreak may be so less that it can go unnoticed) for very long durations. See here in this authentic resource, where it says, it can remain dormant for 40 years.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/genital-herpes/DS00179/DSECTION=2

Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Than why does everything say the first ouybreak is in a few weeks or days after sex with infected person? No where have I ever heard 40 yrs.

As I mentioned, the first outbreak may be so mild that it may go unnoticed. As you can read in the resource (site from the mayo clinic), I had sent you, most of the people never know they are infected because of absence of signs and symptoms. But it can cause symptoms very late. The infection remains life long and may never be symptomatic.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Last year was my first outbreak, fever, body aches and then days later a blister. My doc told me I was being silly. ( I even had a lump in my groin) Now I have a blister and last week a tingling and rectum pains. I have had a hip ache for a year and now think that is related. I guess I'm just overwehlmed.What do I do?

Oral antiviral medication may help you. This can shorten and prevent outbreaks during the period of time while taking the medication. Do not worry.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/Herpes/STDFact-Herpes.htm

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What are the chances that it did not lay dormant for10 years?

This is one question which is difficult to answer. The only way to know about the infection is by two ways;

1) Either by the signs and symptoms

2) Or by the investigation.

If there were no symptoms, we assume that it was dormant.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What about when I had my 2 kids, they could have been exposed in the cannal, Is there a way to guess when I was exposed?

It is impossible to predict the time of infection except your sexual history. There is always a possibility of babies getting infection during delivery, so cesarean is planned. But infection is rare in babies. Read here under the heading, "what are the complications of genital herpes";

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So testing my kids wouldn't tell me for sure when I was infected? How about "what I think was my 1st outbreak" last year, does that sound accurate, to be a 1st outbreak?

Yes, this can be first outbreak, but again cannot be 100% certain.

Dr. Arun