Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I have been having trouble with my bowel movements lately.

Customer Question

I have been having trouble with my bowel movements lately. My whole life I have been able to pass them without any trouble, but lately it has been difficult. My bowel movements are usually very large, log-shaped masses. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Melissa replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Melissa. I would like to ask a few background questions. You are 28, and i presume active, as your user name suggests. Have you recently started taking any new supplements, including vitamins, or those very popular drink supplements? Have you recently started restricting your diet, in an extreme way, such as limiting carbs, fats, fluids, or other diet changes? Do you take any medication, especially any that you just started recently? You said you tried a high fiber diet, and laxatives. How much and how often? Have you had any other lifestyle changes? I will be able to give you a better answer, after you supply the above information. Thank you for using Just Answers for your health questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry, I am not used to dealing with a female about such issues. Is it possible to communicate with a man. I completely respect your intelligence and accomplishments, but I would prefer info from a male. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Hello Atheletein LA,

Melissa has requested me to discuss your problem.

In addition to her queries I would like to add how often do you have bowel movements now?

What type of high fiber diet are you taking?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.D. Saha's Post: Hello, Dr. Saha. I just read your response. Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions. I have a bowel movement about once every three days. As for my high fiber diet, I am eating all bran in the morning and I take fiber pills with a glass of orange juice. I eat all natural granola as a snack after the gym and I drink plenty of water. I eat a lot of vegetables, such as broccoli and I eat salads for lunch. I am a big, strong guy, but when I sit down to have a bowel movement, I push and the bowel starts to come out, but the pain on my anus is too much and I "suck" it back in because it hurts to much to pass it. When it does finally come out, it is usually about a footlong and very, very thick.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 6 years ago.
Hello

Since Dr.Saha is offline I would like to throw some light on your case.It seems given your symptoms you are suffering from fissure in ano.This is a condition where a there is small tear in the anal canal which makes the motions difficult to pass because of the pain.As you hold back the motions they bacome hard.Again these hard motions when they finaly pass through the anal canal they injure the anal canal causing the already formed tear to enlarge and so this becomes a viscious cycle and you end up in chronic constipation.
Well the primary treatment is take high fibre diet and some laxative like milk of magnesia,or lactulose which is freely avilable and avoid meat in the diet with plenty of water.

If it doesnt improves you may have to undergo a surgical procedure , dilatation of the anal canal with removal of the the tear, which will facilitate the healing of the tear and allow the motions to pass freely.
right now continue the same treatment with some added laxative for few more days.If it doesnt settles you need to see a doctor preferably a surgeon.
I hope this helps you.

Regards.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience: MBBS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Tharun's Post: Thank you so much for your response since Dr. Saha is offline. I did pass my bowel movement this evening and it still hurt a bit to push it out. After cleaning myself, I laid on my bed and used a mirror and flashlight to see if I could find and fissures on my anus. I could not find anything alarming, but it was hard to see because of the hair around my sphincter. Do you suggest shaving this hair so I can see more clearly? I am unsure of how normal it is to have hair in that area. Also, I am 6'1" 190lbs. I eat quite a bit and I tend to have big bowel movements. Is this normal to have such large bowel movements? Friends tell me they have never experienced such large movements, so I am unsure if it's common for men my size. Have you experienced such large bowel movements? What do you do release them? Do you push or just let them take there course? Thank you for your answers. I truly appreciate it and I will absolutely be hitting accept.

Sincerely,
AJ
Hello

Yes it is normal to have hair in that area.I will not advice shaving of that area lest you could land up in some kind of infection due to hair root.

There is nothing wrong in having large bowel movements unless its too many times in a day.

Regarding the motions its combined effort of the anal canal and the pelvic and the abdominal muscles where you push it down by contracting your abdomen in.So it is both take their course and push phenomenon.

I hope this helps you.

Regards.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Tharun's Post: I was hoping to get a personal point of view if you don't mind. I was asking if you yourself experience such large bowel movements and what you do when you experience such large movements.
Hello

Well sometimes when you have lot of food the previous night especially with lots of meat and fiber like salads.It is most of the times self limiting and nothing specific needs to be done.Of course you avoid these food stuffs for some days.

Regards.

Dr.Tharun