Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology
8112280

i was diagnosed a couple days ago with fluid build up ...

Customer Question

i was diagnosed a couple days ago with fluid build up behind my retina. the eye doc said it was due to extreme emotional stress and that it will go away within four months or less, if i can get my emotions under control. it is causing my sight in that eye to be 'off' pretty badly. is there anything i can do or the doc can do to get rid of that fluid?
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 6 years ago.
have you done any investigation like sonography or MRI?
Are you having glasses?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im not sure what test was called, but i had dilated eyes and looked into this machine that took pics of the inside of my eyes, and showed the bubble of fluid. he said it was to the left of center but would move further into my line of vision, and it has.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 6 years ago.
Are you diabetic ?

Are you having glasses?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no not diabetic. i have bifocals, nearsighted.
two eye docs said that otherwise my eyes are real healthy.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 6 years ago.
This fluid behind retina can be due to retinal detachment.

Initial detachment may be localized, but without rapid treatment the entire retina may detach, leading to vision loss and blindness.

Lattice degeneration of the retina is a type of thinning of the outside edges of the retina, which occurs in 6%-8% of the general population. The lattice degeneration, so-called because the thinned retina resembles the crisscross pattern of a lattice, often contains small holes. Lattice degeneration is more common in patients with nearsightedness.

Surgical treatment is required if condition is progressive.Treatment includes :Cryopexy and Laser Photocoagulation,Scleral buckle surgery, Vitrectomy,Pneumatic retinopexy.

For detailed information please visit:

http://www.medicinenet.com/retinal_detachment/page5.htm#repaired

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i was told it is not retinal detachment.
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

You have a condition called Central Serous Retinopathy. It is a dysfunction of the retinal pigment epithelium. It is a clinical diagnosis and is confirmed by an FA, flourescein angiography. It is thought that stress, type A personality brings this on. Be sure to tell your doc if you have been on any type of steroids, whether oral prednisone, inhaled steroids for asthma as these can make it worse. In cases where there is severe vision loss that must be restored immediately, some laser can be applied to the retina, but rarely do we take this route initially. A conservative approach is much better in these cases. Sincerely

Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, i remember now that is the name the doc gave it, but what does a 'conservative' approach mean? i have had panic disorder for three weeks and am getting help for that, as well as the sleep deprivation that goes along with. so is just taking care of myself in general what i need to do? and how long might my eye be like this?
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 6 years ago.
There may be small fluid collection behind retina.

If it progresses you need intervention.

Early examination allows detection of retinal tears which can be treated with laser or cryotherapy.

Avoid activities that increase pressure in the eye, including diving, skydiving.

Please keep regular follow up with your doctor . If amount is insignificant and is not increasing immediate surgical intervention is not required.

thanks
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 6 years ago.
CONSERVATIVE approach means there is no requirement of any surgical intervention as collection is small.

if there is no progression no need to surgery.

thanks

Conservative treatment to us eye doctors means nothing, watching, monitoring and making sure it does not get significantly worse. As for you, you need to control your anxiety and stress and get rest. usualy time frame for spontaneous improvement is about 2-3 months. Sincerely

Dr. Stevens

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 6 years ago.
sorry i need to opt out

thanks