Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

Persistant rash at corner of eyes

Customer Question

I have a persistant rash on the outer corner of my eyes (the sklin by my eyes, not my eyeballs). It doesn''t hurt or itch but is occasioanlly a little sensitive. Also, occasionally there are 1 or 2 tiny white pimples with the rash, they always only last 1 day. I have seen a dermatologist and she prescribed a cortizone steroid but it does not seem to help much. The rash will fade and then will return. Once it went away for almost 3 years. What can this be and what should I try next?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
The cause of skin rash or eczema on the outer edge of the eye is due to a persistent stimulus. This can be due to -
  • allergy to any eye drops that you are using
  • if you have eye allergy and wake up with a crusty discharge on the eyelashes, them this mucoid discharge might be causing this rash.
  • if you are using any cosmetic product that can cause allergy
All the treatments that you have tried are to treat the eczema and not aimed at the cause of eczema. That is why the eczema is reoccurring. The most probable cause can be eye discharge due to eye allergy. The treatment for this is to clean your eyes with wet cotton in morning, use eye drops like genteal (without any preservative) which is available OTC. Getting an eye consultation to look for any triggering factor might be a good idea.
Regards,
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I use no eyedrops, nor do I use any cosmetics or eye treatments. I do not wake with any "crust" around my eye or in my eyelashes.
More ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
In such a situation a visit to your eye specialist maybe a good idea, since your dermatologist seems to be out of ideas,
GENTEAL eye drops may be of use if this is related to an eye problem,
regards
Dr. Gupta
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jwinkler, does this resemble your eyelid at the corners at all?graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Stevens's Post: Not really. The photo looks a good deal more red amd raw. My skin has never actually split open or become raw. Jusr deep pink and slightly swolen.
I am not sure, I see alot of eyes all day long, is there a way you can take a pic or is it too subtle for pics?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Stevens's Post: It is too subtle for photos. I spoke with a friend of mine in Germany this afternoon and she told me that she has had really good success by simply washing the area with mild soap, drying the area and then applying Hydrogen-Peroxide on a cotton ball to the area.
I tried this and did it 2 times today... amazingly the area is fading, the tiny "pipmples" are gone and the sensitivity is nearly gone... all within less than 12 hours.
She also mentioned that her next planned treatment (if the peroxide doesn't work completely) was a product called Panthoderm Cream (Dexpanthenol) That she had read about. Have you heard of this product? Any oppinions on the Hydrogen Peroxide?

Hello

panthoderm is a moisturizer and would be safe to try, it can also cause skin irritation. The peroxide is a very gentle antibacterial and is safe to use. Rather than panthoderm (if you dont have it readily available) you could try other moisturizers, such as Dove in small amounts. I usually prescribe something called maxitrol ointment which has both a steroid and an anitbacterial and usually works for something like this. I suggest doing what you already are trying and if it fails, perhaps you can try maxitrol 2 times a day for about 10 days. Sincerely

Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology