1. Which of the following is not a tissue type?
A. Epithelial tissue C. Plasma tissue
B. Connective tissue D. Nerve tissue
2. Within the body, the _______ cavity houses the lungs.
A. thoracic C. pelvic
B. pneumonic D. cranial
3. Which set of terms can be substituted for superior/inferior?
A. Superficial/deep C. Proximal/distal
B. Cephalic/caudal D. Ventral/dorsal
Whichever method you use in submitting your exam
answers to the school, you must use the number above.
For the quickest test results, go to
4. Suppose that a new medical specialty has emerged: gerontogastroenteroepidemiology. Based upon your
knowledge of roots, select the definition that best defines this new specialty.
A. Study of epidemics that strike the aged
B. Study of stomach and intestinal disorders that strike the aged
C. Study of stomach and intestinal epidemics that strike the aged
D. Study of the epidermis in the stomach and intestines of the aged
5. The nervous system that controls respiration is called autonomic because it
A. is not subject to voluntary control. C. conducts impulses.
B. uses nerves of the body. D. deals with the exchange of gases.
6. Which is a combining form, not a prefix or a suffix?
A. OPSY C. PATHO
B. CENTESIS D. RETRO
7. The correct order for analyzing the parts of medical terms is
A. prefix, root, suffix. C. root, suffix, prefix.
B. suffix, root, prefix. D. suffix, prefix, root.
8. Which of the following is the prefix meaning “excessive, above”?
A. -HYPO C. -HYPER
B. HYPO- D. HYPER-
9. A _______ plane divides the body into anterior and posterior portions.
A. cross-sectional C. sagittal
B. transverse D. coronal
10. Which of the following does not belong with a list of organelles?
A. Endoplasmic reticulum C. Centrioles
B. Mitochondria D. Zygomatics
11. The terms ac, al, ary, and ic are all
A. pseudosuffixes formed from roots. C. noun suffixes indicating procedures.
B. prefixes that function as prepositions. D. adjective suffixes meaning “pertaining to.”
12. Your little toe is _______ to your torso.
A. medial C. lateral
B. proximal D. superior
13. A karyotype is a picture of
A. a cell. C. organelles.
B. chromosomes. D. cytoplasm.
14. Which three-letter medical abbreviation stands for something you won't find in the body?
A. CNS C. RNA
B. DNA D. NRC
15. The protein- and antibody-rich milk a mother secretes after giving birth is called _______.
A. colostrum C. gravid
B. estrus D. parturition
16. Which of the following is the correct term for diseases that are transmittable from animals to humans?
A. zoonosis C. leptospirosis
B. brucellosis D. cystitis
17. All of the following except _______ refer to the female womb.
A. METR/O C. UTER/O
B. HYSTER/O D. PELVIC/O
18. Which description is inconsistent with the anatomical position?
A. Body standing upright C. Palms and toes turned forward
B. Arms extended D. Face directed straight ahead
19. Which would be the ending of a term indicating the surgical removal of a body part?
A. “Ectomy” C. “Itis”
B. “Osis” D. “Cision”
20. The meaning of analysis is
A. a separating into parts. C. to dissect.
B. a cutting apart. D. absence of whole